About this course
An Emergency First Responder (EFR) is a person trained in Cardiac First Response that possesses additional knowledge and skills in the assessment and management of patients in a pre-hospital environment. An EFR may be part of the emergency medical services, a healthcare practitioner or a member of the public who has undertaken a recognised EFR course.
- The recommended minimum age for entry is eighteen.
- Certification in CFR (CFR Advanced or CFR Community). Certification in Occupational First Aid or First Aid Response
- All course participants should be mature enough to comprehend the knowledge, skills and implications associated with defibrillation and have a maturity to complete assessment to receive certification.
- This course is delivered in English as such an acceptable level of English to assimilate and relay the information in the course is required. For further information see our English Language policy
The duration of this course is five days.
Anatomy and physiology
Continuum of pre-hospital emergency care
Principles of lifting and moving
Airway and ventilation
Cardiac First Response
General medical emergencies
Bleeding, Shock and soft tissue injuries
Musculoskeletal, head and spinal injuries
The well-being of the EFR
Infection prevention and control
Medico-legal issues concerning the EFR
Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council certificate in Emergency First Response which is valid for 3 years. It is also necessary to retain Cardiac First Response certificate every 2 years.
Learners will be continually assessed throughout the course on the practical skills acquired .
There is also a formative assessment consisting of:
- Demonstration of EFR skills against the PHECC assessment sheets.
- The EFR multiple choice question paper exam of 40 questions; 80% pass mark.
Learners are asked to review the responder examination handbook available on this page prior to course commencement.
Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council Certificate
CPR Pocket Mask
Emergency First Response Handbook
Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council Red Card
PrePre-Hospital Emergency Care Council Certification
Call us now:
+353 1 4427650
Email us now:
Contact a member of our team today for further information on training, products and services.
EFR Training Standards & Clinical Practice Guidelines
Our Upcoming Courses
Our Emergency First Response Instructors
Terry is a qualified advanced paramedic with a diploma in Emergency medical technology from Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, a graduate diploma in emergency medical science and an MSc in Emergency medical science both from UCD. Along with Terry’s many years of clinical practice he also holds a Cardiac First Responder Advanced Instructor certificate and a Beecher Instructional methods certificate. Terry is also a PHECC tutor.
Dermot is a qualified advanced paramedic with a diploma in Emergency medical technology from Northeastern University and an higher diploma in Emergency medical science from UCD. Along with Dermot’s many years of clinical practice he also holds a Cardiac First Responder Advanced Instructor certificate and a diploma in continuing education and training from NUIM.
Dan is a qualified paramedic with a diploma in Emergency medical technology from Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland and a graduate diploma in emergency medical science from UCD. Along with Dan’s many years of clinical practice he also holds a Cardiac First Responder Advanced Instructor certificate and a diploma in continuing education and training from NUIM.