About this course
The Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council accredited NQEMT Emergency Medical Technician Programme is designed to meet the needs of prospective EMT’s who wish to enter the field of Pre-Hospital Care. The programme employs a blended approach to education utilising current technology blended with practical hands on experience to offer students a rounded education in pre-hospital emergency care.
This programme is delivered by a highly experienced faculty with extensive educational qualifications and experience in emergency medical education. Our faculty member profiles can be viewed below or see a full list of the DX2 faculty on our team page.
THIS IS A PART TIME COURSE RUN 2 WEEKEND DAYS PER WEEK ON ALTERNATIVE WEEKS
This course will run: Saturdays & Sundays beginning on the 29th of May Finishing on 5th September 2021
EMT Training Dublin EMT Training Cork EMT Training Limerick EMT Training Galway EMT Training Donegal EMT Training Tipperary EMT Training Kilkenny EMT Training Waterford EMT Training Cavan
This programme is delivered Part time. It will consist of a minimum of 120 direct contact hours and a minimum of 40 clinical placement hours.
Part Time Programme:
This route shall be delivered over two weekend days (9.30-5pm) ) on alternative weeks for 8 weeks excluding bank holiday weekends.
Saturdays & Sundays beginning on the 29th of May Finishing on 5th September 2021 Inclusive
- The recommended minimum age for entry is eighteen.
- Certification in CFR (CFR Advanced).
- All course participants should be mature enough to comprehend the knowledge, skills and implications associated with defibrillation and have a maturity to complete assessment to receive certification.
- This course is delivered in English as such an acceptable level of English to assimilate and relay the information in the course is required. For further information see our English Language policy
- An application interview is conducted for each prospective EMT student.
- Competent in IT is a requirement as the course will involve blended learning and IT systems use.
Learning Outcomes for the EMT Standard
The education and training standard is the expected competency of the student upon completion of a recognised course. A graduate, at the end of a recognised EMT course, will be able to:
- Provide the appropriate standard of patient care for Interfacility transfers and pre-hospital emergency care services.
- Safely and appropriately access, retrieve and transport patients.
- Adopt a professional approach to their practice.
- Demonstrate a commitment to continuous professional competence.
A number of key domains arise from the course outcomes and are listed below. Note that these domains can cross over into more than one course outcome.
Learning Outcome 1
Provide the appropriate standard of patient care for Interfacility transfers and pre-hospital emergency care services, including:
- Recognition and assessment of both life-threatening and common serious medical and trauma conditions.
- Selection of an appropriate patient management plan, application of appropriate interventions, and the correct monitoring of the patient according to PHECC clinical practice guidelines and scope of practice.
- Appropriate on-going maintenance of the patient care record (PCR) and utilisation of best communication practice including patient handover procedures.
Learning Outcome 2
Safely and appropriately access, retrieve and transport patients.
Learning Outcome 3
Adopt a professional approach to their practice, by:
- Retaining a professional manner and method in the performance of their duties
- Basing their professional practice on a solid foundation of both basic and clinical sciences.
- Utilising best practice as prescribed by standard pre-hospital emergency care operationalprocedures.
Learning Outcome 4
Demonstrate a commitment to continuous professional competence.
- Maintaining personal well-being and professional relationships with colleagues
- Identify with the role of the EMT
The learning objectives in the standard refer to the management of adults and paediatric patients unless stated otherwise. The standard of care management for patients with general medical emergencies and trauma is outlined in PHECC clinical practice guidelines (CPGs) and includes medication administration where indicated.
Upon successful completion of this programme, students shall be nominated to sit the Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council EMT Examinations. Upon successful completion of the NQEMT examinations. Students shall receive the National Qualification in Emergency Medical Technology (EMT Level) from the Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council and shall be placed on the PHECC register as an EMT with a pin number assigned.
Students will be continually assessed throughout the Programme on the practical skills acquired.
There is also a formative assessment consisting of:
Learners are asked to review the examination handbook available on this page prior to course commencement.
STUDENTS MUST COMPLETE THE PHECC NQEMT EXAMINATIONS POST COURSE COMPLETION
Full information is available in the examination handbook available on this page.
Uniform consisting of Work shirt,Work Trousers, Polo shirt and High Vis
EMT Pouch with Stethoscope, Pen lights, Trauma Shears, Scissors, Tweezers and seatbelt cutter
Student EMT Card
Comprehensive suite of Text Books
12 Month Access to DX2 Institute of Pre-Hospital Education Electronic Learning Management System
Garda Vetting Costs
Examination Preparation Sessions
Online Live Tutorials
EMT Patch upon successful completion of NQEMT Examinations
Job interview with prospective employers following successful completion of the programme and successful admittance to the PHECC Register at EMT Level.
Students will also have access to the following programmes
Students are responsible for payment of PHECC examination fees, paid directly to PHECC on booking of their NQEMT examinations. Further information can be found on the PHECC website by clicking here
Students undertaking clinical placement on an ambulance must be covered for the standard health vaccinations particularly Hep B. Evidence of cover will be required from each EMT student prior to undertaking clinical placements. If no cover currently exists, DX2 shall assist the EMT student with vaccinations required.
a €500 deposit is payable to secure your place. Finance is available through our finance partner Flexifi should you require it, click below for more information on applying for finance.
Dual Qualification Option
NEW: Dual PHECC EMT & FutureQuals ECA
For 2021 Students may choose to complete the Futurequals Level 3 Diploma Ambulance Emergency & Urgent Care Support award in conjunction with their PHECC NQEMT Course. In order to achieve this award students will be required to:
- Complete an additional Module on DX2 Academy.
- Ensure Successful completion of DX2 MCQ’s, Assignments & Assessments on the EMT Programme.
- Successfully complete their NQEMT Examinations
- Complete a Portfolio of Evidence for the ECA Qualification as the programme progresses.
An additional fee of €500 is payable for those wishing to complete the diploma. For further information please contact a member of the team.
EMT Training Standards & Clinical Practice Guidelines
Our Emergency Medical Technician Faculty Members
Dan Davern MSc BSc GDip NQEMT AP
Managing Director & Tutor
Dan is Managing Director here at DX2. While his main responsibility is the oversight of our organisation he is also dedicated to providing exceptional service to our clients, the delivery of our training programmes and business development. Dan currently holds a BSc in Analytical Science, Msc in Fire & Explosive Engineering, Dip in Continuing Education and Training, Dip in sports Psychology, Dip in Emergency Medical Technology, GDip in Emergency medical science giving him Advanced Paramedic status on the Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council Register, Msc in Emergency medical science from UCD and numerous other qualifications which can be seen on his Linkedin profile. Dan is also an emergency medical educator at The Graduate Entry Medical School at University of Limerick and holds a PHECC educational award at Tutor Level.
Terry Dore MSc BSc GDip NQEMT AP
Programme Director & PHECC Facilitator
Terry has been on faculty with DX2 since 2010, he currently holds a Dip in Emergency Medical Technology from Royal College of Surgeons, a GDip in Emergency Medical Science from UCD giving him Advanced Paramedic status here in Ireland, a BSc in Paramedics studies from University of Limerick, an MSc in Emergency Medical Science form UCD and is currently studying a graduate diploma in emergency medical education at RCSI. Terry is a multi disciplined PHECC Facilitator delivering multiple courses across our suite and specialises in the delivery of practitioner education programmes. Terry is also an emergency medical educator at The Graduate Entry Medical School at University of Limerick and course director for our NQEMT programme through DX2 Institute of Pre-Hospital Education.
Derek Fox MSc GDip NQEMT AP
Derek has been a faculty member with DX2 since 2012, he currently holds a Dip in Emergency Medical Technology from Northeastern University in the USA, a GDip in Emergency Medical Science from UCD giving him Advanced Paramedic status here in Ireland and an Msc in Emergency Medical Science. Derek is a multi disciplined instructor delivering multiple courses across our suite and specialises in the delivery of Paediatric Education for Pre-Hospital professionals and our Emergency First Response course. Derek is currently a Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council Examiner and facilitator.
Gerry Condron GDip Dip NQEMT AP
Paul Creevey MSc GDip Dip NQEMT AP
Troy Taylor BBs Dip NQEMT P
Dermot Murray GDip Dip NQEMT AP
Peter Thorpe MSc BSc NQEMT AP MCPara
Rory Prevet GDip Dip NQEMT AP
Liam Rooney BSc GDip NQEMT AP
Robbie Day GDip Dip NQEMT AP
Andy Wilson GDip Dip NQEMT AP
What Our Students Say
Michelle Colclough – Qualified EMTAbsolutely top class educators. The course content is second to none. Learning from the best while having a laugh!! Well worth going with Dx2 for any course!!
Aaron Sheridan – Qualified EMTFantastic training facility with expert educators who have real life experience and fantastic training skills. I would highly recommend DX2.