About this course
NAEMT’s EMS Safety course teaches students how to protect themselves and their patients while on the job. It promotes a culture of safety and helps reduce the number of on-the-job fatalities and injuries. EMS Safety is the only national, comprehensive safety course for EMS practitioners. Its interactive format features real-life case studies and compelling discussions on current safety issues, and provides participants with a forum to share their own experiences. Critical thinking stations help build participants’ risk assessment and decision-making skills.
Participants are taught:
- To identify and manage the hazards that can appear during daily tasks, from offensive drivers to violent encounters to chronic stress.
- Practical strategies that they can apply in the field, from situational awareness to defensive driving to verbal deflection.
- How to strengthen their resiliency skills in order to combat both chronic and critical incident stress.
Provider Course: EMS Safety is appropriate for all levels of EMS practitioners. This course is offered in the classroom and provides 8 hours of CAPCE credit and NREMT recognition.
Topics covered include:
- Applying crew resource management in EMS.
- Utilizing situational awareness and defensive driving for safe emergency vehicle operations.
- Employing multi-agency pre-planning, vehicle and practitioner visibility techniques, and defensive staging practices at roadside incidents.
- Utilizing lift assist teams, lifting and moving equipment, and behavioral controls to protect both EMS practitioners and patients from injury.
- Employing situational awareness to continually assess for the potential of violence on the scene and verbal and physical techniques to deescalate potential threats.
- Practicing infection and contagion control to protect both EMS practitioners and patients from emerging threats.
- Strengthening resiliency skills to help EMS practitioners cope with daily and critical incident stress.
- Ensuring personal readiness for the daily challenges and hazards of working in the field through optimal personal health.
Upon successful completion of the course, students receive an NAEMT certificate of completion, a wallet card recognizing them as EMS Safety providers for 4 years, and 8 hours of CAPCE, CPD credit.
Pre-Course Knowledge Check
In Course Practical Skills Assessments
Post Course MCQ Assessment
Call us now:
+353 1 4427650
Email us now:
Contact a member of our team today for further information on training, products and services.
Our Upcoming Courses
Cardiac First Response Instructor (Waterford) 02.03.24
First Aid Response Refresher (Dublin) 05.03.2024
QQI Level 6 Manual Handling Instructor (Dublin) 07.03.2024
Patient Manual Handling (Dublin) 12.03.24
Our NAEMT Faculty Members
Dan Davern MSc BSc GDip NQEMT AP
Dan is a qualified advanced paramedic with a diploma in Emergency medical technology from Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland and a graduate diploma in emergency medical science from UCD and a masters degree in emergency medical science from UCD. Along with Dan’s many years of clinical practice he also holds a Cardiac First Responder Advanced Instructor certificate, a diploma in continuing education and training from NUIM and an educational award from the Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council at Tutor level.
Dermot Murray GDip Dip NQEMT AP
Dermot is a qualified advanced paramedic with a diploma in Emergency medical technology from Northeastern University and an higher diploma in Emergency medical science from UCD. Along with Dermot’s many years of clinical practice he also holds a Cardiac First Responder Advanced Instructor certificate and a diploma in continuing education and training from NUIM.
Terry Dore MSc BSc GDip Dip NQEMT AP
Terry has been on faculty with DX2 Training Solutions since 2010, he currently holds a Dip in Emergency Medical Technology from Royal College of Surgeons, a GDip in Emergency Medical Science from UCD giving him Advanced Paramedic status here in Ireland, a BSc in Paramedics studies from University of Limerick and an MSc in Emergency Medical Science form UCD. Terry is a multi disciplined PHECC Tutor delivering multiple courses across our suite and specialises in the delivery of practitioner education and Paediatric Education for Pre-Hospital professionals. Terry is also a faculty member of The Graduate Entry Medical School at University of Limerick and course director for our NQEMT programme through DX2 Institute of Pre-Hospital Education.
Derek Fox MSc GDip Dip NQEMT AP
Derek has been a faculty member with DX2 Training Solutions since 2012, he currently holds a Dip in Emergency Medical Technology from Northeastern University in the USA, a GDip in Emergency Medical Science from UCD giving him Advanced Paramedic status here in Ireland and an Msc in Emergency Medical Science. Derek is a multi disciplined instructor delivering multiple courses across our suite and specialises in the delivery of Paediatric Education for Pre-Hospital professionals and our Emergency First Response course. Derek is currently a Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council Examiner and facilitator
Fergus Byrne Dip NQEMT P
Fergus has been a faculty member with DX2 Training Solutions since 2012, he currently holds Dip in Emergency Medical Technology from Northeastern University in the USA granting him Paramedic status here in Ireland. Ferugs is a multi disciplined instructor delivering multiple courses across our suite, his instructor qualifications are visible on his Linkedin profile. Fergus also holds the educational award of Facilitator with the Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council and also serves as a PHECC Examiner.